We talk about visible storage: the hype, the pros and the cons, and whether we can or should show off our tattered storage boxes. Kloe also reviews and compared the apps Articheck and Evernote for condition reporting.
00:24 News in brief
06:10 Definition of visible storage
08:50 Good examples we know of
12:03 Conservation perspectives – plus what if our stores are rubbish?
23:58 Not all objects are pretty
27:10 Can’t we just put it online instead?
32:30 More good examples
35:00 Conservators on display
39:30 Yet more examples
42:45 Changing trends – is visible storage in fact going away?
44:41 Review: Articheck and Evernote
– Museums Journal: ’NTS Unveils Conservation Plan’ https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news-analysis/01032017-nts-unveils-conservation-plan (members only)
– Electricity: Spark of Life: https://wellcomecollection.org/electricity
– Robots exhibition: https://beta.sciencemuseum.org.uk/robots/
– Museums Journal: ‘Museums Hope for Change from Accreditation Review’ https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news-analysis/01032017-museums-hope-for-change-from-accreditation-review (members only)
– Wikipedia on visible storage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_storage
– ‘Turning Museums Inside-Out with Beautiful Visible Storage’ by Cameron Maynard: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/turning-museums-inside-out-with-beautiful-visible-storage
– ‘These New York Museums Let Visitors Go behind the Scenes to Explore Their Brimming Storage Facilities’ by Karen Kedmey: https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-new-york-museums-open-their-storage-to-the-public-putting-their-vast-collections-on-display
– Conservation Dist List archive: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/2016/0096.html & http://www.cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/2016/0126.html & http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/2016/0164.html
– British Library’s Adopt-a-Book scheme: http://support.bl.uk/Page/Adopt-a-book/
– Museum Hack ‘Museum Pinterest Pros: 7 Institutions That May Pinspire You’ https://museumhack.com/museum-pinterest-pros/
– Collections Conversations on Visible Storage: https://collectionsconversations.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/visible-storage/
– Articheck: http://www.articheck.co.uk/
– Evernote: https://evernote.com/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.