We tackle life as an emerging conservation professional (ECP): Jenny and Kloe talk to guest host Marie Jordan about their collective experiences as new conservators and share a few of our listeners’ stories. We talk about the struggles of both British and American ECPs and the importance of making a fuss. Christina interviews Jonathan Ashley-Smith about conservation training, craft skills (the other c word!), and why it’s important to play nice as an ECP.
00:00:25 News in brief
00:04:22 We’re on Patreon!
00:04:47 Marie, Kloe, and Jenny talk about being emerging professionals
00:06:03 What is an emerging conservation professional, anyway?
00:08:57 Who has had the worst job rejection?
00:13:15 Silent employers are the worst
00:15:40 Listener stories: travelling far and wide, the phenomenon of Skype interviews, short contracts, and working away from spouses
00:28:18 Resume gaps, volunteering, and how to deal with unemployment
00:39:10 Working away from partners and families
00:40:52 Listener stories: worst distance-to-contract-length ratio
00:41:41 Impossibly expensive cities to work in: London and San Fransisco
00:46:30 The need for empathy from employers
00:47:50 Status quo, diversity, and why you should be angry
00:53:21 Listener stories: inexperience, commuting times, and job security
00:56:17 Vital skills you need to get hired
00:58:52 Comments, suggestions, questions, corrections
00:59:20 Interview with Jonathan Ashley-Smith
01:17:33 Research and the possibly disillusioned graduate
01:19:32 Craft skills and extracurricular CV material
01:23:55 Resources for ECPs
– IIC 2017 Student & Emerging Conservator Conference in Bern – save the date: https://www.iiconservation.org/node/6935
– Museums Day 2017: https://www.museumsassociation.org/news/07032017-advocate-for-your-museum-on-museums-day
– Oddy Testing and Off-Gassing Analysis Opportunity: Contribute your list of frequently-used materials! https://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg00597.html
– New emerging professionals group established in Australia: https://www.facebook.com/AICCM/posts/1302744763128633
– Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/thecword
– Marie’s homies at the American Swedish Historical Museum: http://www.americanswedish.org/
– MuseumPros on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MuseumPros/
– Emerging Museum Professionals: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nempn
– Emerging Conservation Professionals Network: https://www.facebook.com/groups/419707523031
– Student Conservators @ Melbourne: http://www.studentconservators.com/
– Fistful of Cinctans blog entry on applying for museum jobs: https://fistfulofcinctans.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/museum-careers-advice-how-to-apply-for-jobs/
– Leicester Museums Jobs Desk: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk
– ICON Jobs: https://icon.org.uk/jobs
– Museum Jobs: http://www.museumjobs.com/
– National Museum Jobs: http://www.nationalmuseums.org.uk/jobs/
– Conservation List List archive: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/
– NEW! Emerging Conservators Australia: https://www.facebook.com/groups/emergingconservatorsaustralia/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik. Special guest host: Marie Jordan.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.