C is for: Connecting and Communicating (on Social Media)
How do conservators use social media? We discuss what conservation professionals share (and don’t share), if we post different things on Facebook vs. Twitter, and what conservators would like to see more of. Christina also talks to conservators Fiona McLees and Alex Walker from the Bodleian Library about their social media savvyness!
00:00:27 What exactly is social media, anyway?
00:01:14 How Kloe, Christina and Jenny use various platforms – and who our audiences are! 00:15:09 Survey results: favoured platforms and account types
00:16:58 What people choose to post about and quite a lot of opinions
00:24:09 How do conservators use the different platforms?
00:30:37 What do we share?
00:32:04 What DON’T we share?
00:40:08 What we love to see and your favourite accounts/groups
00:42:35 What we don’t like quite as much
00:47:31 Do we have professional discussions on social media?
00:51:01 Age and gender of our survey respondents
00:52:19 Generally about social media in museums
00:52:57 Interview with Fiona McLees and Alex Walker from the Bodleian Library
01:16:56 Questions, comments, and corrections
01:17:04 Patreon shout-out!
– Come support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/thecword
– Definition of social media according to What Is: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/social-media
– MCN’s lectures and talks on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/museumcn
– Bodleian Libraries Conservation on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bodleianconservation
– Bodleian Libraries Conservation on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BodCons
Our (non-podcast) social media accounts:
– Kloe’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/KloeBellyDance
– Kloe’s Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/kloe.rumsey
– Kloe’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KloeBellyDance/
– Kloe’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kloe-rumsey-15a66978/
– Kloe’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kloe.rumsey/
– Christina’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/christinarozeik
– Christina’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christina-rozeik-66a11b16/
– Christina’s Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/christina.rozeik
– Christina’s Pinterest: https://uk.pinterest.com/cryr2/
– Jenny’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/curatedjenny
– Jenny’s Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/jenniology
– Jenny’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenny-mathiasson-087a3392/
– Jenny’s Pinterest: https://uk.pinterest.com/jenniology/
Your favourites from the survey:
– Horniman walrus account: https://twitter.com/hornimanwalrus
– Pitt Rivers store account: https://twitter.com/pitt_stores
– Art Conservation Advocates: https://www.facebook.com/groups/17558307624/
– NYU Library Preservation: http://nyupreservation.tumblr.com/
– V&A Conservation blog: http://www.vam.ac.uk/blog/section/conservation-blog
– Metropolitan Museum Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/metmuseum/
– Smithsonian Library blog: https://blog.library.si.edu/
– West Dean College on Twitter: https://twitter.com/westdeancollege
– Thomas van Kampen on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomasvkampen/
– Francesca Levey on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/flevey/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.