We’re joined by guest host Vicky Singleton and have a chat about the world of military collections: what’s in them, how we feel about them, and what we do with them. Also tune in for an interview with Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons about researching and filming in museums.
00:40 Our experiences
06:42 Types of military museums in the UK
09:16 Jargon and language use
13:48 Working with veterans
16:08 Collecting, conserving, and ethics
27:23 Oversized objects
33:01 Funding landscape
35:06 Donations typically coming in
40:15 Amazing things we’ve seen
45:07 Interview with Ian McCollum
– National Army Museum: https://www.nam.ac.uk/
– AMOT (Army Museums Ogilby Trust): https://www.armymuseums.org.uk/
– Fleet Air Arm Museum: https://www.fleetairarm.com/
– Te Papa’s “Gallipoli – The Scale of Our War” exhibition: http://gallipoli.tepapa.govt.nz/
– Omaka Heritage Aviation Centre: http://www.omaka.org.nz/
– Forgotten Weapons: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ and https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey and Vicky Singleton.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2018.