Today we’re talking about how we portray ourselves and how conservators are perceived: in both the media and in fiction. Kloe and Jenny have another natter about the app Articheck, and Christina reviews the book ‘The Public Face of Conservation.’
00:35 News time!
05:13 Popular culture, language use, and how we communicate
14:18 When people think stuff is fake…
16:50 Examples of articles about conservators, not their work
20:03 Profile raising, unexpected skills amongst conservators, and the Peter Principle
23:54 Is the white coat endearing or threatening?
25:20 Conservators in photographs and PR images
28:00 ‘Conservation’ and ‘conservator’ are not great search words
30:45 Fictional conservators
38:21 Why are there not more horror stories/films set in dark museum stores?!
40:25 Book review: The Public Face of Conservation
52:50 Questions, comments, corrections
53:48 Articheck review revisited
58:25 Patreon shout-out!
– Come support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/thecword
– Mary-Lou Florian’s book ‘Heritage Eaters’ (1997) now available for free: https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubccommunityandpartnerspublicati/52387/items/1.0342857
– Conservation studio opens at Knowle: https://icon.org.uk/news/state-of-the-art-conservation-studio-opens-at-knole
– Our social media survey: https://thecword.typeform.com/to/rFRz1v
– National Gallery painting restored after just 10 days: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/mar/28/gainsborough-painting-mr-mrs-william-hallett-morning-walk-restored-rehung-national-gallery
– Things everyone got sent at the time – the Fitzwiliam vases and the Spanish church painting
– ‘My Day as a Conservator’ by Jack Kibble-White in Historic Scotland Magazine, Spring 2014: https://issuu.com/historic-scotland/docs/hs_spring_14
– ‘The Conservators’ in Museums Journal December 2013 (members only): http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/features/02122013-the-conservators
– ‘Increasing the profile and influence of conservation—an unexpected benefit of risk assessments’ by Dr Rogerson and Dr Garside: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19455224.2016.1214848
– Conservation Fiction list: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byauth/rushfield/conservation-fiction/
– Conservation Fiction blog posts: http://www.conservators-converse.org/tag/conservation-fiction/
– ‘The Public Face of Conservation’ (2013) via Archetype: https://www.archetype.co.uk/publication-details.php?id=186
– Articheck app: https://portal.articheck.com/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.