We have a chat about ways of communicating conservation: to the media, to the public, and to each other. We talk to conservator Muirne Lydon from National Gallery of Ireland about media training for conservators and clever tools for social media use. Our agony aunt addresses someone’s fear about being too normal for a career in conservation, and Jenny reviews ‘The Interactive Past – Archaeology, Heritage, and Video Games.’
00:00:24 News in brief
00:09:57 Our experiences with media, news, and PR
00:27:49 Interview with Muirne Lydon
00:41:30 The need for an elevator pitch in conservation
00:43:45 Ways of communicating with conservators
00:47:35 Talking to the public via signs
00:56:46 Review: The Interactive Past – Archaeology, Heritage, and Video Games
01:00:10 Dear Jane
01:03:42 Comments, questions, corrections: tape, sunshine stories & bellydance
– ICON Media Training Course: https://icon.org.uk/events/icon-professional-development-media-training-how-to-do-pr
– ICON’s new strategic plan: https://icon.org.uk/system/files/documents/icon_strategy_2017-2021fv.pdf
– Museums Association Salary Guidelines: http://www.museumsassociation.org/download?id=1224909
– ‘Rare suffragette banner hidden in charity shop for 10 years’ https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/06/suffragette-banner-charity-shop-emmeline-pankhurst-peoples-history-museum-manchester
– ’Penises and caustic soda: the case of the Cambridge antiquities’ https://www.theguardian.com/culture/charlottehigginsblog/2010/jan/27/art-archaeology
– Canva: https://www.canva.com/
– Snapseed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.niksoftware.snapseed&hl=en_GB (Android) and https://itunes.apple.com/app/id439438619 (iTunes)
– Splice: http://spliceapp.com/
– PicMonkey: https://www.picmonkey.com/
– Ripl: http://ripl.com/
– Quik: https://quik.gopro.com/en/
– The Interactive Past – Archaeology, Heritage, and Video Games: https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/the-interactive-past.html and https://www.sidestone.com/books/the-interactive-past
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.