Ho ho ho! We pull some Christmas crackers, talk about Christmas objects in collections, make some predictions for the year ahead, and sing a special conservation carol. 🙂 We also talk to Diana McCormack, the Antarctic Conservation Trust’s first Conservation Ambassador!
00:00:33 Christmas crackers! (plus terrible jokes)
00:06:23 Seasonal objects in collections
00:14:34 Christmas in museums
00:18:58 Predictions for 2018
00:27:32 Looking back on 2017
00:30:15 Interview with Diana McCormack straight from Antarctica!
00:49:39 Twelve Days of a Conservator’s Christmas
00:54:22 The Big Christmas Giveaway!
– A Brief History of the British Christmas Cracker: http://www.historyextra.com/article/premium/christmas-crackers
– Mitchell & Webb Look explorers sketch: https://streamable.com/s8beb
– The Polar Museum blog entry about polar explorer birthdays: https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/news/fun/2015/12/23/are-polar-explorers-more-likely-to-be-born-on-christmas-day/
– Diana McCormack’s job: https://www.nzaht.org/pages/conservation-ambassador-diana-mccormack
– Blog entries by Diana: https://www.nzaht.org/conservation/antarctic-blog/cod-liver-oil and https://www.nzaht.org/pages/antarctic-field-training and https://www.nzaht.org/conservation/antarctic-blog/visiting-the-nimrod-hut-at-cape-royds
– Details of the Christmas Giveaway: http://thecword.show/christmas-giveaway-contest-2017
Our carol The Twelve Days of a Conservator’s Christmas is based on a traditional British carol in a musical arrangement by John Rutter. The singers and musicians (all of them!) were Tom Sutch and Christina Rozeik. The words were adapted by Kloe Rumsey, Christina Rozeik, and Jenny Mathiasson:
1 a tube of B72
2 purple gloves
3 fresh finds
4 crawling furs
5 old rings
6 hats a-fraying
7 pots for packing
8 books for binding
9 rugs unravelling
10 jars a-seeping
11 paintings peeling
12 coins corroding
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects from Sound Bible audio library.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.