We tackle the tricky topic of funding: in museums in general and for conservators in particular. From grants and charities to crowdfunding and adopt-an-object schemes we’ll try to make sense of the many ways we can look for or raise money. Our agony aunt Jane answers some questions about accreditation, and we talk about professional bodies, influencing coworkers, and contemporary art headaches in the comments section.
00:01:06 News in brief
00:01:41 Our experiences of applying for money
00:07:33 Thinking about how to look for funding in museums
00:12:34 How do we demonstrate impact of heritage?
00:14:59 Funding landscape for museums
00:27:20 Conservation funding pots
00:29:38 Funding for conservators
00:32:04 Pet peeves
00:36:07 Individual giving as the future of funding
00:40:33 What are funding bodies after?
00:46:40 What comes next: the work that comes with a grant
00:50:52 Conservators as fundraisers
00:57:31 Adopt a Book and Adopt a Book schemes
01:12:42 Dear Jane
01:17:07 Kloe’s contemporary art dilemma
01:24:59 Questions, comments, corrections: NKF-DK answers and keeping HR out of mansplaining
– HLF publishes consultation response: https://icon.org.uk/news/hlf-publishes-initial-consultation-results
– Funding cuts timeline: https://www.museumsassociation.org/campaigns/museum-funding/19122012-cuts-timeline
– Museums and funding in the UK 2018: https://www.museumsassociation.org/campaigns/museum-funding/museums-in-the-uk
– Charity Commission: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/charity-commission
– The Nine Fundraising Nos: https://www.managementcentre.co.uk/nine-fundraising-nos/
– C2C Webinar on Fundraising for Collections Care: https://www.connectingtocollections.org/fundraising-for-collections-care/
– Adopt an Object: https://www.adoptanobject.co.uk/
– Adopt a Book: http://support.bl.uk/Page/Adopt-a-book/
– Art Fund’s Art Happens platform: https://www.artfund.org/get-involved/art-happens
– Llandudno Blodwen appeal example: http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/art503347-skeleton-of-arthritis-suffering-neolithic-woman-at-centre-of-archaeological-crowdfunding-bid
– Manchester suffragette banner funding success: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/bring-manchesters-suffragette-banner-home
– Save The Sunbathers funding success: https://historicengland.org.uk/get-involved/protect/save-the-sunbathers/
Heritage and Conservation Funding Sources (UK):
– Heritage Lottery Fund: https://www.hlf.org.uk/looking-funding
– Arts Council England (ACE) funding: https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/funding
– Church Care sources of funding: http://www.churchcare.co.uk/churches/funding-and-grants/other-sources-funding
– Heritage Funding Directory: https://www.heritagefundingdirectoryuk.org/ or http://www.theheritagealliance.org.uk/fundingdirectory/main/search.php
Funding for Conservators (UK):
– ICON’s list of training and CPD grants: https://icon.org.uk/what-is-conservation/careers-training/career-grants
– Churches Conservation Foundation emerging professionals travel grant: http://www.churchesconservation.org/travel-award/
– Jonathan Ruffer Curatorial Grants: https://www.artfund.org/supporting-museums/jonathan-ruffer-curatorial-grants
– Anna Plowden Trust programmes: https://www.annaplowdentrust.org.uk/applying-us
– The Clothworkers’ Foundation: https://foundation.clothworkers.co.uk/
– Zibby Garbett Travel Fellowship: http://www.zibbygarnett.org/grants/
– Introduction to Fundraising: https://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/introduction-to-fundraising/
– Fundraising Disciplines: https://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/fundraising-disciplines/
– Fundraising Essentials Legislation: https://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/fundraising-essentials-legislation/
– AIM Successful Funding at Museums Guide: https://www.aim-museums.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Successful-Fundraising-at-Museums-2017.pdf
– UK Giving Report 2018: https://www.cafonline.org/about-us/publications/2018-publications/uk-giving-report-2018
– Fundraising Regulator: https://www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk/
– Funding Central: https://www.fundingcentral.org.uk/
– GuideStar charity search engine: https://www.guidestar.org
– Trust Funding: http://www.trustfunding.org.uk
– Association of Charitable Foundations: https://www.acf.org.uk/
– C2C Webinar on Funding for Collections Care: https://www.connectingtocollections.org/funding-collections-care/
– Overview of crowdfunding platforms 2018: https://www.techworld.com/picture-gallery/startups/top-crowdfunding-websites-3639335/
– C2C Webinar on Crowdfunding for Museums: https://www.connectingtocollections.org/want-to-run-a-kickstarter-campaign/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey and Sarah Buck.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2018.