We have a chat about salvage: floods, fires, accidents, and pest infestations. All the fun stuff! Christina talks to Sophie Rowe about practical salvage training, Jenny gets worked up about emergency planning, and Kloe really wants to try some salvage in practice. Also tune in for an in-depth interview with Natalie Mitchell about the salvage work involved after the Glasgow School of Art fire.
00:00:24 News in brief
00:01:25 Our experiences of salvage and little disasters
00:05:15 Is salvage only after floods and fires? How about accidents at work?
00:08:58 Massive pest infestations can also be disasters
00:10:06 Grenfell Tower and the topic of fires
00:11:24 Training options: table top exercises and emergency planning
00:13:05 Training options: practical salvage with Historic England
00:13:45 Interview with Sophie Rowe about practical training
00:23:38 Coordinating with Emergency Services during planning
00:26:09 Building plans in emergency plans and why Jenny has opinions on them
00:28:57 Interview with Natalie Mitchell about the Glasgow School of Art fire and subsequent salvage
00:50:20 Review: Refashioning and Redress – Conserving and Displaying Dress (book)
00:54:47 Questions, comments, and corrections: the demographics of different types of conservators, and comparing notes on Elspeth Jordan’s social media survey
01:04:40 End of the season?!
01:06:27 Patreon shout out!
– Come support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/thecword
– Icon launches new Contemporary Art Network: https://icon.org.uk/groups/contemporary-art-network
– Clandon Park and Uppark House fires: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-32527293 and https://www.westdean.org.uk/study/school-of-conservation/blog/miscellaney/after-uppark-burned-down-reflections
– Rapid Response Network: http://www.rapidresponsenetwork.org.uk/
– Historic England salvage training course: https://historicengland.org.uk/services-skills/training-skills/heritagepractice/heritagepractice-residential/emergency-planning-salvage
– Salvage & Recovery of Cultural Heritage course (online, July 17 2017): http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/salvage-recovery-of-cultural-heritage-collections/
– Glasgow School of Art fire: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27556659
– Refashioning and Redress: https://shop.getty.edu/products/refashioning-and-redress-conserving-and-displaying-dress-978-1606065112 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Refashioning-Redressing-Conserving-Displaying-Dress/dp/1606065114
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.