We take a closer look at freelancing in conservation: being a scalpel for hire! We cover topics such as clever tool hacks, the pros and cons of going solo, and how the types of clients affect the work you do. We share our own experiences and chat about how you can brush up on your business skills. Also tune in for interviews with two other freelance conservators: Nigel Larkin and Sally Woodcock.
00:00:30 Conservation perfumes – can it be?!
00:05:55 What would a scent called ‘The Conservator’ smell like?
00:06:35 Jenny’s been to a wax conference
00:09:45 Kloe and the Manchester suffragette banner
00:11:45 Our experiences of freelancing
00:20:30 Are specialists more likely to be freelancers?
00:23:34 Conservation companies: employees vs. one-man-bands
00:25:40 Sub-contracting and working together
00:26:30 Workload and pace of commercial jobs
00:29:10 Freelancer, consultant, or independent conservator?
00:31:16 Benefits of working with other freelancers
00:33:25 Tool hacks!
00:36:15 Do freelancers feel isolated?
00:38:20 How do people get started as freelancers?
00:39:00 What are the perks? And the big challenges?
00:47:14 Health and safety, insurance, and accounting
00:50:20 Pricing your work and charging for your time
00:53:20 How do you keep up with your CPD and training? Can you brush up on your business skills?
00:56:00 Advice from freelancers
01:00:57 Interview with Nigel Larkin (natural history and geology conservator)
01:12:32 Interview with Sally Woodcock (paintings conservator)
01:29:30 Comments, questions, and corrections: controlled drugs in collections and asbestos training
01:34:20 Patreon shoutout!
– Come support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/thecword
– Library of Fragrance: https://thelibraryoffragrance.com/
– Frostbeard Studio (book scented candles, formerly on Etsy): https://www.frostbeardstudio.com/collections/book-lovers
– Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/
– Ceroplastics, International Congress on Wax Modelling: https://www.waxmodellinglondon2017.com/
– People’s History Museum and the Suffragette Banner in the news: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/06/suffragette-banner-charity-shop-emmeline-pankhurst-peoples-history-museum-manchester
– Museum Freelance Network UK: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8438251
– Museum Freelance on Twitter: https://twitter.com/museumfreelance
– Nigel Larkin on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrIchthyosaurus
– Nigel Larkin’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Natural-History-Conservation-119346798095177/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional music and sound effects by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2017.