Please take a seat in the waiting area as we have a little chat about the all-important topic of portfolios as part of recruiting conservators: what makes a good one, what format should it be, and what do we put in ours? We’re joined by guest host Julia Jabłońska, an emerging paintings conservator, as we try to figure out what people want. Also tune in for an interview with Tamsin Russell from the Museums Association about interview confidence, a Dear Jane about PhD studies, and a special guest review from William Tregaskes of ’Always Time for Coffee’ by Kate Minchin.
00:00:39 News in brief
00:08:23 So what are conservation portfolios?
00:12:13 Academic work vs employment portfolio
00:16:42 Inspiration and anxiety
00:19:42 Do you put ’personality’ into yours?
00:36:31 Going digital
00:40:37 Twitter responses
00:52:55 Review of EPN portfolio workshop
00:55:38 Interview with Tamsin Russell, professional development officer
01:07:34 Review: ‘Always Time for Coffee’
01:12:20 Dear Jane
01:18:41 Patreon shout out
01:19:47 Comments, questions, and corrections
– Meet-up at #Icon19: https://www.facebook.com/events/334625240523009/
– ICOM working on a new definition of museum: https://icom.museum/en/news/the-museum-definition-the-backbone-of-icom/
– Fire at Notre Dame: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/20/notre-dame-fire-uk-ready-to-share-conservation-expertise
– About the EPN: https://icon.org.uk/groups/emerging-professionals-network/about-the-epn
– ICON Emerging Professionals Network on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307825550045272/
– S02E04 Emerging Professionals 2: http://thecword.show/2017/10/04/s02e04-emerging-professionals-2/
– Always Time For Coffee: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N5MB5F5/
Support us on Patreon! http://www.patreon.com/thecword
Hosted by Julia Jabłońska, Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.