How and why should conservators publish their work? Who are we trying to reach and why does it matter? Kloe quite likes the established conference paper or journal article routes while Jenny prefers Twitter papers, blogs, and methods without paywalls. Christina tries to demystify the publication world and talks us through the stages of publishing a traditional article. Also tune in for a review of ‘Cultural Heritage Marketing: A Relationship Marketing Approach to Conservation Services’ by Izabella Parowicz, and a Dear Jane about mid-career futures.
00:00:40 News in brief
00:15:16 Perceptions from university
00:24:05 Considering your audience
00:34:48 We need students!
00:36:18 Finding the time
00:41:18 How do you publish an article?
00:57:44 Conservation abstract databases
01:00:19 Open source publishing
01:02:22 Review: ’Cultural Heritage Marketing – A Relationship Marketing Approach to Conservation Services’
01:06:49 Dear Jane
01:15:22 Questions, comments, and corrections
– ‘Machine Learning Brings Old Paintings and Photos to Life’ via Tech Crunch: https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/22/mona-lisa-frown-machine-learning-brings-old-paintings-and-photos-to-life/
– The Rosetta Project: https://rosettaproject.org/
– The Long Now Foundation: http://longnow.org/
– Conservation Dist List archive: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/
– Studies in Conservation: https://www.iiconservation.org/publications/sic
– Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/
– ’Can Conservators Read (Or Write)?’ by Velson Horie (2007): https://icon.org.uk/system/files/icon_news_8_january_2007.pdf
– Kloe’s joint paper with Jane about communicating hazards: https://collectionforum.org/doi/pdf/10.14351/0831-4985-29.1.49
– Jenny’s Twitter paper on museum gel: https://twitter.com/curatedjenny/status/916252990364901376
– Christina’s publishing workshop in Cambridge: https://www.museums.cam.ac.uk/events/publishing-conservation
– Journal of the American Institute of Conservation: https://www.culturalheritage.org/publications/journal-(jaic)
– Journal of Paper Conservation: https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/yjpc20/current
– The Picture Restorer: https://www.bapcr.org.uk/the-picture-restorer/
– Museums Journal: https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal
– Museum Practice: https://www.museumsassociation.org/museum-practice
– Coré (in French): http://sfiic.free.fr/publications/core.html
– Journal of Conservation and Museum Studies: https://www.jcms-journal.com/
– e-Conservation Journal: http://e-conservation.org
– Heritage Open Access Journal: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/heritage
– CeROART: https://journals.openedition.org/ceroart/
– ICCROM list of open access resources: https://www.iccrom.org/news/new-conservation-resources-open-access
– AATA Online: http://aata.getty.edu/Home
– BCIN: https://www.bcin.ca/
– Cultural Heritage Marketing: https://www.palgrave.com/gb/book/9783030002862
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.