We take a look at some of the many ways in which conservators earn money on the side (and the reasons we might do so): Kloe talks about her bellydancing, Jenny shares her experiences of temping and gig economy freelancing, and Christina shares some career wisdom. Also tune in for some brilliant listener contributions, and a Dear Jane about taking a job that isn’t perfect.
00:01:16 News in brief
00:06:09 What do we mean by side hustle?
00:12:35 Stories from listeners
00:22:15 Owning your side hustle
00:33:58 Message from Christina
00:51:30 More listener stories
00:53:05 Dear Jane
– Culture in Crisis: https://cultureincrisis.org/
– #IconTC 2019 breaks new records: https://icon.org.uk/news/icontc-2019-breaks-new-records
– New Museum School trainees graduate: https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/04122019-New-Museum-School-celebrates-second-year-of-trainees
– Rare Charlotte Bronte book coming home: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50458343
– Geffrye to reopen as Museum of the Home after £18m overhaul: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/nov/27/geffrye-to-reopen-as-museum-of-the-home-after-18m-overhaul
– Louvre begins to migrate 250,000 artworks to archives at new conservation centre: https://advisor.museumsandheritage.com/news/louvre-begins-to-migrate-250000-artworks-to-archives-at-new-conservation-centre/
– Definition of side hustle: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/side-hustle
– Common examples of side hustles: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/293954
– Tax-free allowances on property and trading income: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income
– A friendlier version of the information above: https://www.taxadvisermagazine.com/article/little-boost
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson and Kloe Rumsey.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.