We’re joined by guest host Johanna Sandström as we embark on an adventure with brown soggy stuff: from waterlogged wood and leather to mudlarking and replica toilet seats! We interview Mags Felter from York Archaeological Trust, Kim Roche from MSDS Marine, and Luisa Duarte from Museum of London. Also tune in for a review of ’Preserving Vasa’ and a Dear Jane about university admissions!
00:00:53 News in brief
00:05:34 Our experiences with wet stuff
00:14:56 Interview with Mags Felter
00:33:36 Sulphur is a real pain
00:37:37 Interview with Kim Roche
00:52:27 Interview with Luisa Duarte
01:07:20 Books in bogs
01:14:13 Textiles in ice cubes
01:15:06 Waterlogged rubber?!
01:17:16 Dear Jane
01:21:52 Review: ’Preserving Vasa’
01:26:52 Patreon shout-out
– 14th ICOM-CC Wet Organic Archaeological Materials (WOAM) Working Group Conference: http://www.woam2019.org.uk
– Town hall debate now available as a bonus episode: http://thecword.show/2019/03/01/bonus-episode-diversity-discussion-panel/
– AIC re-branding: https://www.culturalheritage.org/
– The Nordic Museum: https://www.nordiskamuseet.se/en
– Vasamuseet: https://www.vasamuseet.se/en
– The Mary Rose: https://maryrose.org/
– The National Museum of Denmark: https://en.natmus.dk/museums-and-palaces/the-national-museum-of-denmark/
– York Archaeological Trust: https://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/
– London Mudlark: https://www.facebook.com/LondonMudlark/
– Rooswijk 1740 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rooswijk1740
– MSDS Marine: https://msdsmarine.com/en/home/
– Protected wreck pilot programme: https://msdsmarine.com/en/nextpwageneration/
– Museum of London: https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london
– 12th-century three-person loo seat goes on display: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/feb/13/helles-toilet-12th-century-three-person-loo-seat-goes-on-display
– ‘The methodology used for dewatering the vellum from the Faddan More Psalter’ from JAIC: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19455224.2012.744678?fbclid=IwAR3pvvoeLLoRbQuTuCW-ndsjGKzywOvJRtAaAQs7pG5wC6AjnddvUn31RqI&instName=University+of+Cambridge&journalCode=rcon20
– Preserving Vasa: https://archetype.co.uk/our-titles/preserving-vasa/?id=269
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, Christina Rozeik, and Johanna Sandström.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.