We’re joined by guest host Sarah Potter as we have a chat about working with contemporary art. Jenny interviews Julia Nagle about the joy of colour and solvent free studios, and Kloe talks to Ann French about problem solving and how to share your knowledge. Also tune in for a special training review by Anthi Soulioti (including an interview with Vivian van Saaze), and a review of the West Dean plastics course by Kloe.
00:00:37 What is contemporary art?
00:05:51 Our experiences
00:15:33 Unusual materials and artist involvement
00:21:22 Do we need conservators for this?
00:25:01 Challenges of display
00:31:23 Interview with Julia Nagle
00:48:59 Choice of art materials
00:52:07 Resources and training
00:53:36 Interview with Ann French
01:03:24 Review of recent contemporary art conservation events by Anthi Soulioti
01:07:46 Interview with Vivian van Saaze
01:16:14 Review of West Dean’s plastics course
– Jorge Otero-Pailos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Otero-Pailos
– Ethics of Dust (2016 article): https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jun/29/the-ethics-of-dust-jorge-otero-pailos-westminster-hall-artangel
– Jeff Koons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Koons
– Marc Quinn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Quinn
– ‘Marc Quinn Will Draw Two Tons of Blood From Refugees, Kate Moss, and Others for a New – Artwork to Raise Awareness About the Migrant Crisis’ in ArtNet News: https://news.artnet.com/art-world/marc-quinn-blood-refugee-statue-1378570
– ’Blood Sculpture May Be Ruined’ via The Guardian (2002): https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jul/04/arts.artsnews
– Damien Hirst: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Hirst
– ‘Damien Hirst’s preserved carcasses leaked formaldehyde gas, study claims’ via The Guardian (2016): https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/apr/21/damien-hirsts-preserved-carcasses-leaked-formaldehyde-gas-study-claims
– Evaporation by Tania Kovats: https://capefarewell.com/latest/events/67-news/875-lovelock-3.html
– Julia Nagle: https://www.julianagle.com/
– Barry Finan: https://venturearts.org/artists/barry-anthony-finan/
– Posca pens: https://www.posca.com/en/range/
– Lightfastness tests on art materials: https://www.theenchantedgallery.com/lightfast.html
– ICON Contemporary Art Network: https://icon.org.uk/groups/contemporary-art-network
– INCCA: https://www.incca.org/
– West Dean conservation courses: https://www.westdean.org.uk/study/short-courses/courses?type=short&category=Conservation
– NACCA: http://nacca.eu/
– Whitworth Art Gallery: http://www.whitworth.manchester.ac.uk/
– Vanishing Point – The Curation and Preservation of Virtual Reality: https://www.dpconline.org/events/past-events/vanishing-point
– Lives of Net Art workshop: https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/tate-exchange/workshop/lives-net-art
– NACCA Conference 2019: http://nacca.eu/conference-2019/
Hosted by Sarah Potter, Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.