Join us as we browse through the remarkable collections held in archives together with special guest host Meagen Smith: we talk about the joys of paper and the unique aspects of working with these items. Jenny also chats to archivist Ruth Cummins and our conservation agony aunt tackles a question about landing an internship in ‘Dear Jane.’
00:00:39 News in brief
00:03:05 What’s an archive, anyway?
00:08:52 Beyond paper – what do archives collect?
00:15:56 Decision making and conservation
00:31:29 Nobody believes Jenny about chickens with trousers
00:33:35 Masculine history and addressing the balance
00:36:50 More odd things found in archives
00:43:33 How do we limit damage from use?
00:48:00 Resources to check out
00:50:01 Interview with Ruth Cummins
00:56:28 Dear Jane
01:04:11 Comments, questions, and corrections
01:04:32 Patreon shout out
– Current Icon salary guidelines: https://icon.org.uk/jobs/advertising-and-salary-guidance
– UK Parliamentary Archives: https://archives.parliament.uk/
– What’s an archives? https://www.archives.gov/about/info/whats-an-archives.html
– The art and science of letterlocking: http://news.mit.edu/2014/art-and-science-letterlocking
– An example of reading a scroll without unfolding it: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1296207419301670
– ‘Eighteenth-century doodles of a chicken in trousers go viral’ via The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/oct/09/eighteenth-century-doodles-of-a-chicken-in-trousers-go-viral
– Glasgow Women’s Library: https://womenslibrary.org.uk/
– The Kitchen Sisters’ The Keepers podcast: http://www.kitchensisters.org/keeperoftheday/
– Quiet by Susan Cain: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0074YVW1G/
– Rotherham Archives and Local Studies: http://cliftonpark.org.uk/cpm/homepage/30/archives_and_local_studies
– How to donate via PayPal: https://paypal.me/thecwordpodcast
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Meagen Smith.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.