In this episode we talk about how the Arduino can be useful to conservators and how people are using it in museums already. Jenny talks to Dr David Mills and Mark Hellar about using the Arduino in conservation, and Christina chats to Bhav Shah about machine learning and much more. Also tune in for a Dear Jane about PhD dreams.
00:00:47 Wait, what is this?
00:12:09 Jenny goes to an Arduino workshop
00:14:38 Interview with Dr David Mills
00:19:27 Pros and cons of building it yourself
00:22:33 Why museums adopt tech
00:27:52 Interview with Mark Hellar
00:39:35 Virtual assistants
00:46:04 Interview with Bhav Shah
01:05:45 Uses for machine learning in museums
01:16:50 Are we going to be replaced by robots?
01:26:02 Dear Jane
01:28:29 Patreon shout out
– Museum Pi episode: http://thecword.show/2017/06/21/s01e09-museum-pi/
– Difference between the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino: https://makezine.com/2015/12/04/admittedly-simplistic-guide-raspberry-pi-vs-arduino/
– Arduino official introduction: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction
– Arduino Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino
– Go follow David on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DTL
– Sensors for the Arduino: https://store.arduino.cc/components/components-sensors
– Museduino: https://museduino.wordpress.com
– Building a weather station for a museum: https://ingeniumcanada.org/channel/articles/project-log-1-raspberry-pi-arduino
– Follow Mark on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mhellar/
– Go follow Mark on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mhellar
– What Open Source means: https://opensource.com/resources/what-open-source
– What virtual assistants are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_assistant
– Monitoring Insects at the V&A: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/monitoring-insects-at-the-victoria-and-albert-museum/
– Go follow Bhav on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bhav_shah
– AI, Machine Learning & Deep Learning Explained in 5 Mins: https://becominghuman.ai/ai-machine-learning-deep-learning-explained-in-5-minutes-b88b6ee65846
– Otter voice transcription: https://otter.ai/
– Museums Journal Trendswatch: https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/features/02092019-trendswatch-ai
– More Than Human exhibition: https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2019/event/ai-more-than-human
– AI creating oil paintings: https://www.fastcompany.com/90167584/this-ai-paints-like-the-old-masters-can-you-tell-the-difference
– Pepper the Robot at the Smithsonian: https://www.si.edu/visit/pepper
– Dot the Chatbot: https://www.theformgroup.com/articles/2018/10/17/tour-akron-art-museum-with-dot-the-chatbot
– IRIS+ the Chatbot: https://www.aam-us.org/2018/06/12/iris-part-one-designing-coding-a-museum-ai/
– Tate’s Recognition project: http://recognition.tate.org.uk/
– Art Selfie App by Google: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/photo-video/google-art-selfie-3683180/
– Meet Berenson, the Robot Art Critic: https://news.artnet.com/art-world/robot-art-critic-berenson-436739
– Using Pigeons to Diagnose Cancer: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/using-pigeons-to-diagnose-cancer/
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.