Join us for an episode all about diversity: guest host Aly Singh shares her own experiences while Jenny wrestles with class and Kloe tries to find practical solutions. We talk to Hannah Cobb about the CIfA Equality & Diversity Group, to Sam Evans about class in the museum workforce, and to Michelle McGrath and Kathleen Lawther about Museum As Muck. Also tune in for a Dear Jane clarifying calibration quandaries and a special give away announcement!
00:02:15 Data sources and acronyms
00:08:16 We get fighty about class
00:15:26 Aly’s experiences
00:21:05 Let’s have fair labour practices, guys
00:26:38 Making people feel safe
00:35:20 Are apprenticeships the solution?
00:42:39 Interview with Hannah Cobb
00:56:30 Broadening our own horizons
01:01:00 Interview with Sam Evans
01:15:38 Interview with Museum as Muck
01:23:46 Dear Jane
01:28:16 Special announcement!
01:29:13 Patreon shout out
– Bonus episode mentioned: https://thecword.show/2019/03/01/bonus-episode-diversity-discussion-panel/
– Icon’s Sustainable Workforce Research Toolkit project: https://icon.org.uk/about-us/icon-policy-and-advocacy/sustainable-workforce-research-toolkit-project
– Aly’s tweet showing a slide on AIC membership stats: https://twitter.com/alysingh/status/1139194296752660480
– The original ’UK Conservators as 100 People’ graphic: https://www.facebook.com/thecwordpodcast/photos/a.1135904649872719/1135944579868726/
– Fair Museum Jobs: https://fairmuseumjobs.wordpress.com/
– Apprenticeship update: https://icon.org.uk/news/icons-impact-apprenticeships-for-the-conservation-sector
– Young Canada Works: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works.html
– Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works/students-graduates/careers-heritage-graduates.html
– Chartered Institute for Archaeologists Equality and Diversity Group: https://www.archaeologists.net/equality-and-diversity-group and https://equalityanddiversitygroup.wordpress.com/
– Digging Diversity: https://hannahcobbarchaeology.wordpress.com/digging-diversity-2/
– Profiling the Profession: https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/profiling_2014/index.cfm
– Prospect Union: https://prospect.org.uk
– Enabled Archaeology Foundation: https://enabledarchaeologyfoundation.org
– Archaeowomen: https://archaeowomen.wordpress.com/
– Follow Hannah on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArchaeoCobb
– Follow CIfA E&D Group on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CIfA_Equality
– Media Indigena Podcast: https://mediaindigena.com/podcast/
– All My Relations Podcast: https://www.allmyrelationspodcast.com
– ‘White Fragility’ by Robin DiAngelo: https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Fragility-People-About-Racism/dp/0807047414
– Museum Detox: https://museumdetox.wordpress.com
– The Great British Class Calculator from 2013: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973
– Sam’s research project: https://museumofthemandus.wordpress.com/
– Follow Sam on Twitter: https://twitter.com/samisatwork
– British Museum National Programmes Conference 2019: https://www.npconference.uk/conference-2019
– Museum as Muck: https://www.facebook.com/groups/museumasmuck/
– Follow Museum as Muck on Twitter: https://twitter.com/museumasmuck
– Supermuckers at the Festival of Change 2018: https://www.acidfree.org.uk/projects/supermuckers/
– Panic! It’s an Arts Emergency Report: https://createlondon.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Panic-Social-Class-Taste-and-Inequalities-in-the-Creative-Industries1.pdf
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Aly Singh.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.