We sneak a peek in the blunder traps with special guest host Jane Thompson-Webb as we explore the topic of insect pests in and around collections and the sticky world of integrated pest management (IPM). Tune in for some fantastic listener contributions about pest encounters, an interview about the Emergency Conservators Network, and a new feature — the Benchwork Bar!
00:01:41 What are our dealings with insect pests?
00:10:30 What do you do with the data, anyway?
00:20:58 Horror stories (aka Jenny’s therapy session)
00:26:59 Contributions from listeners
00:41:07 To squish or not to squish?
00:44:25 What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever found in a trap?
00:45:46 Treatment options
00:53:36 More resources
01:04:13 Interview with Abigail Bainbridge
01:10:00 Benchwork Bar: The Carpet Beetle
– What’s Eating Your Collection: http://www.whatseatingyourcollection.com/
– English Heritage pest ID poster: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/siteassets/home/learn/conservation/science/serpentine/insect-pests-historic-houses-poster.pdf
– Accompanying pest monitoring tools from English Heritage: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/learn/conservation/collections-advice-and-guidance/
– ‘Trends in effective communication of integrated pest management data’ by Jane Henderson, Christian Baars, and Sally Elizabeth Hopkins: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319625017_Trends_in_effective_communication_of_integrated_pest_management_data
– ‘Novel ways of communicating museum pest monitoring data: practical implementation’ by Christian Baars and Jane Henderson: http://orca.cf.ac.uk/129741/
– ‘Standardizing and communicating IPM data’ by Jane Henderson, Christian Baars, and Sally Elizabeth Hopkins: http://orca.cf.ac.uk/129738/
– Food episode: https://thecword.show/2017/11/29/s02e08-food/
– Kloe’s pro tip litter pickers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=litter+picker&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
– Museum Pests: https://museumpests.net/
– Conference procedures from IPM for Cultural Heritage 2019: https://www.raa.se/samhallsutveckling/riskhantering-och-katastrofberedskap/amnesomraden/skadedjur-och-mogel/integrated-pest-management-for-cultural-heritage-ipm-2019/
– Pests in Houses Great and Small: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pests-Houses-Great-Small-Identification/dp/1910907243
– Help the Emergency Conservators Network stitch for the NHS: https://icon.org.uk/news/icon-member-and-bpg-chair-abigail-bainbridge-acr-stitching-for-the-nhs
– Emergency Design Network fundraising page: https://www.gofundme.com/f/emergency-designer-network
– Go follow Amanda Richards for more conservation cocktails: https://twitter.com/ConserveItAll
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Jane Thompson-Webb.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2020.