We’re joined by special guest host Erika Lewis as we talk about the role of technicians, and how conservators and techs work hand in hand (or glove in glove). How do we best work together and what might that look like in different situations? Also tune in for an Exhibit Opener with Amanda at the Benchwork Bar and a book review from Jenny.
00:54 What are technicians?
08:03 Where can we find them?
16:31 Qualifications and such
17:22 Communicating with employers
25:55 Sexism rears its ugly head
29:50 Nurturing your patience
37:02 The perks
39:23 Review: ’Sidney Nolan – The Artists’ Materials’
42:45 Benchwork Bar: The Exhibit Opener
45:38 Comments, questions, corrections – and an addendum!
– Art technicians as defined by CVAN: http://www.cvan.art/cc-skills-technician-gallery
– Find Erika Lewis here: https://www.instagram.com/thatslifesnoopy/
– Getting a forklift license: https://www.get-licensed.co.uk/licence/forklift-licence
– IPAF training: https://www.ipaf.org/en-gb/ipaf-training
– The PAL card: https://www.ipaf.org/en-gb/pal-card
– Art Tech Space: https://www.arttechspace.com/
– Sidney Nolan – The Artists’ Materials: https://shop.getty.edu/products/sidney-nolan-the-artist-s-materials-978-1606065945 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sidney-Nolan-Materials-Paul-Dredge/dp/1606065947
– Go follow Amanda Richards for more conservation cocktails: https://twitter.com/ConserveItAll
– Conservation & Collections Care Technicians Diploma: https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/conservation-collections-care-technicians-diploma
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Erika Lewis.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2020.