We get philosophical about gap filling and loss compensation in various conservation disciplines: why do we do it and how far do we take it? Kloe interviews Ellie Sweetnam about disruptive conservation and boldly coloured fills, and Jenny reviews ’Pottery and Porcelain Restoration’ by Roger Hawkins. Also join us for a tipple at the Benchwork Bar, and an emotional Dear Jane with a guest contribution from Nerys Rudder.
00:01:14 So is it gap filling or loss compensation, guys?
00:11:34 Does emotion come into play?
00:15:20 Interview with Ellie Sweetnam
00:28:19 Visibility and ethics
00:34:58 Techniques and materials
00:39:51 Damage as something good
00:45:48 Can we enjoy repairs?
00:49:08 Review: ‘Pottery and Porcelain Restoration – A Practical Guide’
00:54:05 Dear Jane
01:05:31 Comments, questions, and corrections
01:06:03 Benchwork Bar: Pulp Fill
– ’Are Attic Vases Archaeological?’ by Rozeik, Dawson and Wrapson: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/sic.2010.55.Supplement-2.24
– ‘Thinking outside the box: the re-conservation of a ceramic Clazomenian sarcophagus in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge’ by Christina Rozeik: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19455224.2011.557000
– Crap Taxidermy: https://crappytaxidermy.com/
– Kintsugi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi
– Museums Are Not Neutral: https://artstuffmatters.wordpress.com/museums-are-not-neutral/
– Painting of The Bronte Sisters: https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw00797/The-Bront-Sisters-Anne-Bront-Emily-Bront-Charlotte-Bront
– Visible mending: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashiko
– Pottery and Porcelain Restoration – A Practical Guide: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pottery-Porcelain-Restoration-Practical-Guide/dp/1785006754/
– Full statement by Nerys Rudder: https://thecword.show/podcast/Your_Memories_are_Short_and_You_Havent_Been_Listening%20.pdf
– Being Black in the Arts and Heritage Sector by Ashleigh Brown: https://icon.org.uk/news/being-black-in-the-arts-and-heritage-sector-paper-conservator-ashleigh-brown-offers-a
– Thread from Museum Detox: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1268230499098603521.html
– Michelle Silverthorn: https://twitter.com/inwithmichelle
– Black Lives Matter: https://blacklivesmatter.com/
– Go follow Amanda Richards for more conservation cocktails: https://twitter.com/ConserveItAll
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2020.