Join us as we explore the topic of working with communities of all sorts: from source communities to new audiences. How can conservators work with community groups? How can museums be more welcoming to diverse audiences? Can we take collaboration outside of the museum walls? We talk to Rachel Hand and Ali Clark about their work at the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology and to Francis Lukezic about the Nunalleq Project. Also tune in for a Dear Jane about archaeological exhibitions and a Parisian book review!
00:00:37 Our experiences of working with communities
00:07:31 What do we mean by community anyway?
00:14:18 Interview with Rachel Hand and Ali Clark
00:41:53 Relinquishing control and growing collaboration
00:48:02 What is value? What are we conserving?
00:49:25 Interview with Francis Lukezic
01:05:29 Active collecting from groups
01:08:31 Review: ‘The Littler Museums of Paris’
01:12:12 Dear Jane
01:18:15 Patreon shout-out
– Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/
– Pacific Presences project: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/pacific-presences/
– Nunalleq – Archaeological Excavation and Conservation Lab: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/geosciences/departments/archaeology/archaeological-field-school-in-quinhagak-alaska-281.php
– Nunalleq Project Blog: https://nunalleq.wordpress.com/
– GoFundMe for Nunalleq Culture & Archaeology Center: https://www.gofundme.com/nunalleq
– The Little(r) Museums of Paris: https://www.runningpress.com/titles/emma-jacobs/the-littler-museums-of-paris/9780762466405/
– Unravelling the Past: https://caerheritageproject.com/2014/07/30/unravelling-the-past-one-scroll-at-a-time-new-blog-by-sara-brown/
– Roman Lead Sheet Treatment Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYdpFKE60A&feature=youtu.be
– Conserving the Curse Tablet: http://archaeologicalmuseum.jhu.edu/the-collection/object-stories/a-roman-lead-curse-tablet/conserving-the-curse-tablet/
– ‘Archaeologist Dana Goodburn-Brown set to conserve Roman scroll’ via Kent Online: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/archaeologist-dana-goodburn-brow-a61087/
– Rare Runic Stone Discovery: https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/news/rare-runic-stone-discovery
Hosted by Jenny Mathiasson, Kloe Rumsey, and Christina Rozeik.
Intro and outro music by DDmyzik used under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Additional sound effects and music by Calum Robertson.
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
A Wooden Dice production, 2019.